Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts InstituteMuseum of ArtPerforming ArtsSchool of ArtPratt at MWP

MWPAI Events
Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Mary Murray
This 61st edition of the lively and popular exhibition series features works
of art in all media by artists living within a 100-mile radius of Utica.

Please join us by submiting your opinion of this exhibit.
Mary Murray, Curator
The artists have asked questions about their own work for visitors to contemplate.

Sean Hovendick and John Mannion, of area: What do you think the figure is doing? What does this figure represent?

Richard Castellane & Jeff Schuessler, ask about their Meditation Altar (Voyage of Life, II): Does this work cause you to reflect on your own life? Can you find connections to your life – the hills or valleys, the good or the bad?

Lyle Grams, Lexicon: Can you identify a particular pattern and see where it recurs in the work? Can you find the other patterns and where they recur? Step back and see if you can feel the play of space between the repeated patterns. Do they shift between foreground and background?

Stephen Honicki, Between Heaven and Hell: How do you respond to the text in the images – does it engage you or is it intrusive or distracting?

Melissa Johnson, Ten Stories of Mist: When you look at my painting, what moods do you feel?

Chloe Kettlewell: Even though these paintings come from my own life, do you see something in these scenes that is familiar to you?

Katharine Kreisher, Contemplating Peace (Corpse Pose): By combining the two images this way – does it suggest a hierarchy? a sequence of events? simultaneous events? some other connection?

Carolou Kristofik, red/white/black still lifes: What do you feel when looking at this painting? Does it look like I tried to make the vase or glass jar extra special? Is there a mystery to the painting or something that draws you in?

Anni Lorenzini, north country landscapes: What do you think it could mean to describe types of landscape painting with the terms "Grand Opera" and "the still small voice?" Can you see anything like that in these paintings?

Rhea Nowak, artist's book: If you or any artist makes a book, when is it a book and when does it become something else? What makes a book a book?

Tim Sheesley, two lithographs: What draws you into these pictures – the color? the composition? the historical references?

Maddy Silber, Sway: How large a role does the title play for you in understanding of a work of art?

Lynette Stephenson, two paintings with figures wearing a red cross: Did something just happen? Is something about to happen? How does the title connect with the figures in the painting?

Cara Brewer Thompson, Underneath series: Does knowing what this is a picture of change your opinion of the image? Does it help or hurt your feeling about the picture?

Carrie Will, In memoriam series: What does a traditional memorial look like? Whom do we usually memorialize?

barb
The layout of the exhibition was thoughtfully planned, with artists whose work relates displayed together. It's great to see so many artists working with traditional media and techniques, and yet keeping it contemporary.  The artist talks have been very helpful, looking forward to the others.

louanne Getty
In thinking about Carrie Will's question about traditional memorials - I can't help but think of the Vietnam War Memorial - which I have never seen in person but would love to . How poignant - all those names on that dark wall rising from or going into the earth.... depending on perspective. And the artists' story behind that public memorial quite profound as well.

I also think about perspective and the private act of "memorial" which Carrie's work seems so much to be about... how in our everyday lives do we grapple with the seemingly unacceptable losses that come to be?

It would be lovely to see some of the quiet, private ways we each chose to "remember" our dead. But then maybe they would no longer be quiet or private I suppose. I loved Carrie's series of photographs and the interface with nature. What small parts of our everyday lives, thoughts and actions as a memorial of some one or some thing lost mark our paths for others to discover?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!