Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts InstituteMuseum of ArtPerforming ArtsSchool of ArtPratt at MWP

MWPAI Events
Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
A.C. LaMonica
I am posting this comment here because the Film Series forum is only activated for Moderators currently.

If possible, I would like to see MWP bring the new documentary, Religulous, to show in it's Film Series. This film is showing nowhere in the Utica-Rome area (closest is Hamilton) and I think it would be engaging and entertaining for those interested or curious about it.
et

Well, I would like to see some films from India at the Munson Williams Proctor Arts Institute that are NOT stereotypical in nature. I am tired of colleagues, friends, and ppl in this part of the world, only thinking about poverty, caste, cows and christian missionaries when it comes to India. Just like I am tired of when they are shocked that people in India have cars and live in nice houses! So, come on, challenge the stereotypical comfort zones, and bring on Indian films like these I found in a list on the net; 

Taare Zameen Par: India's entry to foreign language Oscar. Film on dyslexia
Omkara: Indian adaptation of Shakespeare's Othello
A Wednesday: On terrorism in India
Tahaan: a child and his best friend, a donkey, and their story of finding each other. Problem, they are in Kashmir, in India, and that is one place dominated by terrorism.
My brother Nikhil: India's only decemt film on homosexuality, and raises important issues of social stigma in that part of the world, without getting preachy.
The Namesake: Based on Jhumpa Lahiri's novel- I think you've shown this already, but it was more an immigrant film, rather than Indian.
Dor: Based on the concept of “eye for an eye,” but it’s not about the revenge or the justice system. It’s about a woman whose husband is accused of killing a man, and she must find the wife of that person, seek forgiveness, and save her husband’s life. But there are so many layers to the story.
Gandhi, My father: Based on Mahatma Gandhi's son's autobiography
Khamosh Pani (Silent Waters): Story of a mother and son, with India's partition and growing fundamentalism as the background.
Raincoat: Indian adaptation of O' Henry's Gift of Magi.
Johnny Gaddar: Caper flick (yeah! they make them in India too!)
Lagey Raho Munna Bhai: Don meets Mahatma Ghandhi and must turn non-violent to get a girl of his dreams.

secondwhiteline
Well, I just moved back here from Saratoga, and would like to know if the Film Series has shown Let the Right One In. If not, are there any plans to present it?
Alek
Hi. Good site.
Santana
Hi. Good site.
Alek
Hi. Good site.
Santana
Hi. Good site.
Alek
Hi. Good site.
Santana
Hi. Good site.
Alek
Hi. Good site.
Alek
Hi. Good site.
Alek
Hi. Good site.
Santana
Hi. Good site.
Alek
Hi. Good site.
Santana
Hi. Good site.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!